SAVING YOU FROM SELF-HELP
Honest confession: I have been a self help junkie for a very long time, almost two decades, till the time I realized what bullshit was being pedaled in the name of self improvement.
This is my first article on Life Coaching, and I have decided to help people escape the “self-help” bullshit. I know many suffer from it and it is an epidemic in our times. The US started this (like most things) and it spread through the world and is now tormenting India.
All that “positive thinking” is killing an entire generation which is smoking weed and pursuing “The Secret” waiting for the cheques to materialize from thin air.
So have you ever heard the following:
- You can do anything that you want to
- If you can dream it then you can do it
- No one is smarter than you are
- Positive thinking will make you achieve anything
- Hard work can beat talent any given day
- The Secret
Sorry to prick the bubble, but the above is a bunch of LIES and you need to forget it and re-program yourself.
Nowadays if I come across any of the above lines in any self improvement book, I just toss it away and never pick it back. Most of the self-help gurus are helping themselves to your money.
The denial of reality can never make anyone a success.
LET’S DO A REALITY CHECK:
- You can do anything that you want to: Everyone wants to be a billionaire with a six pack. Why on earth are there only 2000 billionaire in the world and most don’t have a six pack?
- If you can dream it then you can do it: Do you even know the number of IAS and IIT aspirants who live eat and breathe their dream? Most of them fail. Many go into depression and some even commit suicide. Don’t you dare tell me that they weren’t committed. Hell they were committed enough to commit suicide.
- No one is smarter than you are: Oh yeah that means, you, I, Bill Gates and your janitor all have the same level if IQ. Only a low IQ person would agree to this one, many actually do.
- Positive thinking will make impossible possible: Yeah can you stand in the ring with Mike Tyson for 10 minutes without getting killed? You have 3 days to think positive.
- Hard work can beat talent any given day: Here is a counter argument: Why do we suck the most at one subject e.g. Math, and despite trying hardest in that subject, devoting maximum time and effort and taking tuitions, still suck at it? Here is the truth: TALENT KICKS ASS NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU WORK…!
- The Secret: People who yell from the roof tops that astrology is fake …would swear by the boatload of crap called “The Secret”. For the sake of God, Astrology is real and “The Secret” to “The Secret” is that it doesn’t work.
Day in and day out I see horoscopes and see the dance of talent indicated by stars. People with Bhandra Yoga and Hans Yoga take the cake in academics. Virgo ascendants dominate accounting department while Scorpios rule the medical sciences. And dare people tell me that astrology is fake. (yeah right)
I often tell parents, leave your kids alone, they will find out their own stream. But they wouldn’t be Indian parents if they didn’t push their children into science stream and government job preparation. (Then we wonder why the youth are so frustrated)
Nature made you a certain way and that’s how you would remain for life. As an astrologers, I see Virgo ascendants rule the accounting departments while Scorpio ascendants dominate the medical field, is it an accident? Hell no…NATURE made them that way and they always enjoyed it.
It is best to realize your destiny and follow it instead of following dreams of someone else, or chasing after unrealistic expectations (e.g. getting a government job if you are a person from a General Category).
Throw “The Secret” in garbage bin and start working on the one thing that you really enjoy, make a career out of it, nature would help you.
G. Vijay Kumar